The Lab Technician performs a broad range of duties in support of Safety in Oceanit’s laboratories. This will include laboratory maintenance, equipment set-up and maintenance, sample preparation, purchase of supplies, and conducting tests.
THE VALUE YOU DELIVER:
- Works with the Lab Manager, and Safety Committee in providing operational support and assistance to all staff regarding compliance with safety standards and protocols in the Health & Safety Manual and promotion of safety in the laboratory.
- Assists in lab safety training needs and coordinates the lab safety training program.
- Assists in ensuring that safety equipment and personal protective equipment are available, functioning properly, and used appropriately.
- Actively participates in the organization of the labs and laboratory cleanup efforts. Handles hazardous waste disposal.
- Assists with maintaining documentation of Oceanit’s safety plans, signage, lab emergency information forms and Safety Data Sheets.
- Reports any incidents and/or injuries. Assists in conducting investigations on any violations, assists with reporting to appropriate groups, coordinates remediation efforts as necessary, and maintains log of safety concerns.
- Assists with coordination and maintenance of regular safety reviews and inspections.
- Participates in remediation of any safety concerns.
- Advises when equipment needs to be repaired and may assist with coordination of repairs as necessary.
- Assists in keeping laboratory stocked with standard chemicals. Interfaces with vendors as needed.
- Prepares samples of new materials using a variety of laboratory techniques
- Performs chemical and mechanical testing of materials
- Sets up, repairs and maintains laboratory equipment and environment
- Maintains safety equipment
- Keeps laboratory stocked with standard chemicals; interfaces with vendors as needed.
THE EXPERTISE WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- BS in Materials Science, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or related field or 5 years laboratory experience including safety, chemical handling, and equipment maintenance, desired.
- Experience with machine tools and basic laboratory equipment.
- Able to work well both alone and in a group environment.
- Good documentation skills.
- Able to learn new skills and adapt to a rapidly changing and exciting environment.