The Materials/Mechanical Engineer performs a broad range of duties in support of the S & T unit. This will include developing new, innovative materials and technology, testing and evaluating, preparing samples and prototypes, participating in deployments, and developing advanced systems to support new business and technology pursuits.
THE VALUE YOU DELIVER:
- Prepares samples of new materials using a variety of laboratory techniques. Performs chemical and mechanical testing of materials.
- Uses scientific and engineering principles to develop new materials, processes, technologies and products in line with the growth strategy of the company.
- Develops sensor systems to ensure delivery of high performance technology on-time and on budget.
- Develops models and prototypes to meet or exceed customer specifications.
- Contribute to a range of technology development projects while working with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Provides technical expertise, knowledge, pursuit strategy, and business opportunities relative to the above tasks.
- Actively participates in international and domestic deployments of technology, requiring international and domestic deployments.
- Interfaces with customers, researches technical literature, and supports proposal development.
- Performs theoretical and experimental research and development in materials science, nanomaterial fabrication & testing, and electro-chemistry.
- May assist with responses to government solicitations that are in line with the company’s strategy to secure funding for R&D activities.
THE EXPERTISE WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- MS in Materials Science, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or related field.
- Strong proficiency with laboratory equipment and procedures, required.
- Proficiency in MS Office, MatLab, COMSOL Multiphysics Finite Element Analysis software, 3D printing and other electronics and mechanical design skills preferred.
- Experience in an industrial company and/or laboratory that conducts materials development and advanced materials research and manufacturing preferred.
- Experience with machine tools and basic laboratory equipment.
- Competent, broad technical knowledge of sensor systems, their design, manufacture, and testing.
- Able to work well independently, as well as in a team/group environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to obtain a security clearance. Existing secret, top secret, and/or SCI clearance a plus.